Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Concession

So, by now you've probably all heard that Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger has been elected the new Pope. I'd like to take this moment to extend my congratulations to the new Pope and wish him luck in his upcoming papacy. It was a short but none the less intense campaign. In the end I guess Ratzinger simply ran a better campaign than I did. I hope that now that the Cardinals have voted we can forget the ugliness of the campaign trail and move forward united. I know that Ratzinger will make excellent Pope, and will fill the pope mobile well.

Now, I want to thank all the people who supported me in my campaign and those Cardinals who voted for me. I encourage all of you not to become discouraged. We knew going in that it would be an up hill battle to Rome. After all, I do not speak Latin. I am not a Cardinal. I am not even Catholic. I guess the Catholic church just wasn't ready for its first openly Protestant pontiff. But we will continue this fight. If nothing else we have proven to the fat cats in Rome that a small grass roots campaign can thrust itself to the forefront and make some serious ecclesiastical noise. Now, it is important that we maintain this structure and energy we have forged on the campaign trail. Let Rome know that even though we lost this round, we are going to be a major voice in the Church for quite some time.

Finally, allow me to reiterate the importance of unity. We must not grow bitter in this defeat. We must not allow ourselves to make snide, sarcastic, remarks toward the current administration. Even if Ratzinger did choose the ultra-homo name Benedict, when I would have gone with the super cool Pius moniker. It is important that we do not lose hope. Even if this is the latest in a long line of crushing defeats after failing to be elected student body president, treasurer of the English Honorary in college, and most likely to succeed. Despite all this, remember we must work hand in hand with this new pontiff.

And chin up my little soldiers. Benedict is only a buffer pope. It is only a matter of time until we gird up our loins for the next papal election. Until then I wish you, my followers, and the new administration, good luck and godspeed. Bless you.

Shalom

1 Comments:

At 12:24 AM, Blogger HockeyKnight said...

I think you lost because the voters discovered that you took too much money from special interest groups.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home