Saturday, February 12, 2005

The Bet, or Joe will give me $100.00

That's right, Joe Wichryk II will give me One Hundred Dollars.

Now this won't be for another few years or so, possibly even decades, but this, I promise, will occur.

One Hundred dollars is alot of money you say, what is this strange and curious bet? Backstory:
Around new years eve, 2000, joe and i were talking about chain restaurants. I had mentioned that there was going to be a new Hard Rock Cafe in Pittsburgh and it would be cool to go. Joe said that it's just like all the other HRC's in the United States, whats the big deal. I said, No, they're all different, all with different music related artifacts and memoribilia. then i proceeded to say how it would be exciting to visit every one. Joe callously, and quickly retorted, "I bet you can't go to every Hard Rock Cafe in the United States by the time you die."
Ben: "How much?"
Joe : " One Hundred bucks!"
Ben : "Deal."

We shook, and thus the pact was made.

Details were ironed out, but that is not the intriguing part of the discussion. Basically, I have to go to every Hard Rock Cafe in the Continental United States and do a shot out of the 2oz shot glasses that are emblazed with the city's name. i then return home with the glass and rub it in Joe's face. Wednesday night I purchaced glass number 13, Philadelphia. (the first Joe will know of this information is when he reads this blog) The only place you can get the city glasses are from the city themselves. I cannot go to Atlanta and buy a glass with Los Angelos on it.

I have a hell of a time doing this, it's alot of fun and i get to see the country. I do not have to go to Hawaii, (which has 3 Hard Rock Cafe's ) but i will just for fun. this also does not include international HRC's so my 2 from Canada and the one from Berlin do not count. (my wife got the Berlin one for me, so it wouldn't count anyway)

Now i do understand that there are many drawbacks to this bet:
1. I loose no matter what.
If I die before i complete the task, joe get's 100 bucks.
If I do in fact complete the task and got to every HRC in the Cont. U.S., i will spend way more than 100 dollars. On average, my check amount when eating at the cafe has been 35 bucks. so far i have been to 15 HRC's (canada), that is 525 dollars i've spent on food and drink alone. (the glass is included in this total. it's 6.25 for a glass including the shot, 5 for the glass, no shot. I go for broke) already i'm in the hole 425 bucks. Currently there are 46 Cafe's in the US (including Hawaii, and new additions since our 2000 pact, all of which i don't have to go to) that means i have 33 more to go. In food alone, i will be spending about $1,155.00. This does not include travel, parking, hotel, and tipping. I look to be spending about $5000 or more.
2. Some HRC's have been torn down.
One Hard Rock was in St. Paul, Minnesota. It is no longer there. I have to find a shot glass from St. Paul, go to the fromer location of the HRC, and do a shot. quite a task if you ask me. it is the only one, that i am aware of, that has closed. But they have been opening more than they have been closing, so i think i'm in ok shape.

So why dod i do this stupid thing to waste money??? For principle. Joe doesn't believe that i'll do it. He thinks i'll eventualy figure out it's a waste of my time and money and i'll give up.

I will never give up. It gives me a great excuse to get away for a while, see the country, base avcations around, get a hobby, collect something, do something interesting with my life. With 13 under my belt, and i plan on at least 3 more this year, that will give me 16 in that last 5 years. in 10 more years, at my current pace, i should have all 46 (assuming they don't open any more) if they do, we'll say 12 years. My personal goal is by the time i'm 40 have them all locked up.

So naysayers shake your head, but well-wishers wish me luck, and please, find me a 2oz shot glass from the Hard Rock Cafe in St. Paul Minnesota. PLEASE!

-ben

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home