Thursday, August 26, 2004

Stop Speaking Out!

Ever since the Vietnam war, celebrities (specially musicians) have felt the uncontrollable urge to take a roll in politics. To protest every war under the sun, to stand up for the soft skulls of baby seals, and to speak as if their opinions mean more than the everyday Man's. And if there was one thing I could change about the music industry, it would be their love of speaking out. Not because I want to hinder freedom of speech, but because I'm tired of my favorite artists soiling their image by aligning themselves with a political party. I don't care if they are GOP or ASS (whoops, I meant Democrat), I don't want to know.

There are so many musicians and bands that are now forever soiled in my mind because I know what issues they support and oppose. That doesn't mean I've stop listening to their music, but it does mean that I've stopped thinking of them as people I can relate to. After knowing what a band really stands for or supports, I'm more cautious when it comes to wearing that band's paraphernalia or telling others that I like them. I would rather be blissfully ignorant of a musician's political leanings. When you have no preconceived notions about a band, you can fully enjoy the music they present.

This year's election has really brought together the music community, particularly bands I love, to rally against our president. Why? Well mainly because A) he is a Republican. The majority of artists are liberal for reasons that I find to be "retarded." B) he is involved in a war. Artists naturally feel the urge to protest the war and blame America for starting it. They don't realize that no one likes war, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. C) it's more hip to be against The Man than for The Man.

So many groups that I love are now joining these ridiculous compilation CDs, trying to make their statement in this MTV-run music industry. They preach nonconformity, and yet every group says the same thing. They say "Anyone but Bush" when they don't realize that the man they could put in office will be worse than Bush. They are abusing the microphone that we the listener gave them. I knew I didn't agree with the politics of some of my favorite bands: Dave Matthews, Less Than Jake, Death Cab for Cutie... but it was when the bands I didn't expect to have opinions spoke up, that's when I got disappointed.

My favorite band in the whole world is They Might Be Giants. They've been around since I was just a youngin', and I remember first discovering, like most kids did, on the music video episode of Tiny Toons. Ever since 7th grade I've loved them, seeing them in concert every time they come to town, buying all of their albums, and proudly sporting a TMBG buddy icon from time to time. All throughout their history, they have stayed silent when it comes to politics, although it's sort of obvious when you look at John and John and their backgrounds, they never were obnoxious about it. Until I heard that John Linnel was organizing the MoveOn.Org compilation CD. Ouch. My perfect vision of TMBG, the coolest alt-pop rock group on the planet, was now tarnished because they are associated themselves with the most appalling of 3rd party political groups. Worse yet, their CD was taking other great bands I enjoy, like Death Cab, Flaming Lips, OK Go, and Ben Kweller. Talk about a shame. I listen to alot of punk music, and so I expect that kind of activism from them, but these indie guys don't need this.

Musicians like to spout off about this stuff like we care what they have to say... but I'm fairly sure that no one really likes to listen to them. Thanks Morrissey for letting me know what you think of Bush, since you can vote in our election anyways... And I would like to give MTV a big thanks for their pitiful "Rock the Vote" campaign. There's nothing like a fresh breath of liberal stank to get the youth up and united in a cause they know nothing about. Instead, people will be "rocking" some sort of voting booth because they think GW is "stupid" and "can't talk" and starts "illegitimate wars." Way to think for yourself... or at least, way to listen to Jack Black's t-shirt at the VMA's.

1 Comments:

At 6:51 PM, Blogger Rev. Kimberly Rich said...

Yuppers I must agree that the entertainment folks should stick to that venue. I was really amused that when John Kerry came to my little town of Zanesville Ohio, he wasnt the person folks were going to see. They all wanted to see Ben Afflac (however you spell his name). I remember a few years back, I drove three hours one way from college to make sure I voted for my candidate and then drove another three hours home. Rock that vote MTV. I had to reschedual a final to do it too. You know what? I didnt need some actor or band member to tell me to do it either. I did it because I wanted to have my own voice in the way things were run. Why isnt that enough anymore?
love and light,
Robyn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home