Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Cat Stevens... Say it ain't so!!!

Last week Cat Stevens was taken off a plane heading from England to America because he landed himself on a terrorist watch list! Okay, now that you've taken the time to stop gasping, let me tell the rest of the story. Years ago (think 1970's) Cat Stevens converted to the Islam religion, and therefore changed his name to Yusuf Islam. Ever since then, he's been a leading figure in the UK Muslim scene, and an advocate of peace across the whole world... that is until he became one of the most feared terrorists in the world!

Why did Cat "Still Listening to the Wind of My Soul" Stevens get on the Homeland Security terror list? Some say it's because there was a rumor that he donated tens of thousands of dollars to Hamas, an international terrorist group similar to Al Quaeda sans the video-production skills. Others say it's because of a typographical error on the part of H-Security. Apparently there is a Yousseeff Islam on there. I can see how they would get confused.

But I'm wondering this... were those Homeland Security agents really positive that Cat Stevens was posing an imminent threat to American livelihood. I am all about Homeland Security... it's a fantastic organization that is really trying to work hard to keep our country safe from the Axis. But really now... seriously. I can just imaging what the officers said when his name came up on the list:

Officer 1- Hey... do a background check on this Yusuf Islam character.
Officer 2- Did you say Yusuf Islam?
1- Yeah
2- Isn't that Cat Stevens?
1- Who?
2- You know... the guy who sang "The Wind?"
1- Um... what about "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay?"
2- That was Otis Redding... Cat Stevens did "Peace Train" and "Wild World"
1- Oh...
2- Ya know, folky music... he was pretty good. Then he changed to Islam.
1- Like Kareem Abdul Jabaar
2- ... yes.
1- And he's a terrorist?
2- No, he's an ex-basketball player.
1- Cat Stevens?
2- No, Kareem.
1- What about Cat Stevens?
2- I dunno... check the list.
1- There is a Yousseff Islam on here.
2- Hey, that kinda sounds like it...
1- I thought you said this guy was a folk singer. How can he be a terrorist?
2- Hey man, take no chances! The shoe-bomber was a professional racquetball player.
1- Shit... nevermind then! Get this guy off the plane!

And so they kicked Cat Stevens off of the plane, and caused him to make international headlines. The more and more that I think about it, I'm not surprised that he's on the list. If the wind of my soul told me to blow something up, I guess I would have to listen. Unless it was a breeze... can't trust a breeze.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home