Tuesday, September 05, 2006

No, Mr. Palmer. I'll take YOU to the bank.

Herein lies a story originating from the Cellar Dweller's recent trip to Philly.

We had a great show at the 5 Spot in Philly. Nang is origionally from Philly so we, The Cellar Dwellers, let her and her family decide where we should go to celebrate our outstanding, sell-out performance. They told us of a great bar called Sugar Mom's on Church Street in the heart of Old Town, where the Atmosphere was livid and the Bubble Hockey was Free! (and if anyone knows the Cellar Dwellers, simply the utteration of Bubble Hockey sends us into a frenzy. A FRENZY)

While at Sugar Mom's, we had a few delicious beers with each other, friends we had not seen in years, and Nangles'. But it had been quite a long day, and many of us had not eaten since Pizza King teased our appitites with a jester-quality pizza. We were, simply put, famished. Another great thing about Sugar Mom's is that the Kitchen was open until 1:30 AM. By our calculations, it was merely 1:00. So we flagged down a waitress and ordered 2 fish sandwiches and a large fry. With turnpike tolls casting a heavy shadow on the pocketbook, I reached for the great American currency, My Debit Card, and proclaimed to our server, "I'd like to start a tab." With the night wearing on, and drinking becoming more frequent, we were finally able to manuever our way onto the bubble hockey table. We played until the joint closed at 2:00, and a kitchen employee shooed us out the door so cleanup could begin. Outside, we got directions off a drunk Nangle to Jersey, where our hotel was, and parted ways, happy and inebriated. (no worry officer, we had a designated driver)

It wasn't untill the next morning that I had realized that with the quick retreat from the bar, I left my debit card in the care of the server.

"Damnit," I told my fellow Dwellers, "I left my card at Sugar Mom's."

Words of encouragement were uttered for its safe return,
"No problem, we'll pick it up after breakfast at the Chinese Buffet."

Yea, no problem. We have to go back to Philly to pick Dave up from Nang's sisters house anyway. Nang was staying for the week, so Dave was riding back home with James, Joe, Larry, Big Matt, Danette, and myself. The plan was, BM, Danette and I would go in my car to Sugar Mom's and get my card while James, Joe and Larry would take the other car to get Dave. We would meet at the first rest stop outside the city. Simple plan.

Herein lies our dillema. Sugar Mom's doesn't open till 6pm on Sunday. Plus they weren't open on Monday's or Tuesday's at all. We had a whole road trip planned for the way home (including the worlds smallest church and Tiny-Town,) and this didn't figure in to those plans. The phone number was on the sign out front, so I jotted it down and we got back in the car. Defeated, we drove for the worlds smallest church. I figured there was nothing I could do untill 6:00 so I enjoyed the journey. After dinner at one of the Rest Areas, I called Sugar Mom's to inquire about my card. The conversation went as thus:

Ben: Hi, I was in last night and I think I left my card there.
Employee: Were you at the bar or in the dining room?
Ben: The Bar.
Emp: (pause) ...Yea, I got it here. You can come pick it up.
Ben: Well, I'm from Pittsburgh, is there anyway you could mail it out to me?
Emp: ...Um...you're probally gonna have to talk to a manager, they're real protective of people's cards that have been left.
Ben: Is there someone there now?
Emp: No, you'll have to try back later.
Ben: Can I leave my Info and have someone call me back when they get in?
Emp: Yea, no problem.

Knowing full well I'd never get a call in return.

Dave, who was in my car at this time, suggested that I talk to Nang about her maybe being able to pick up the card this week sometime. She was, in fact, staying in Philadelphia all week. So on Tuesday night, I told Nang I would call them in the morning and see if she, or one of the nangle clan, could stop by and pick it up.

Ben: Hi, I was in on Saturday and left my debit card at the bar.
Emp: ...Yea, it's here. You can pick it up anytime.
Ben: Um... I live in Pittsburgh.
Emp: Oh.
Ben: I do have a friend staying i Philly this week, is there anyway she could pick it for me?
Emp: ...Jee, uh, I'm not sure. You'll have to talk to a Manager. She'll be in later this afternoon.
Ben: Can I leave you my number at least.
Emp: Sure.

Well, I went to work that night and forgot to call back.*sigh*

So Thursday comes.

Nang was heading home today, so I could no longer utilize her as a debit-retrieving source. I had to take a stand.

Ben: Hi, is a manager in?
Emp: No, but Is there something I could help you with?
Ben: I left my debit card at the bar this past weekend.
Emp: ...Oh yea, I've seen this here... Yea, man, we got it. You can come by anytime and pick it up.
(pause)
Ben: ... um, I live in Pittsburgh.
Emp: Oh. uh...
Ben: Look, this is the 3rd time I've called this week, is there anyway that someone could just mail it out to me? I'll return the postage, or whatever, I'd just really like my card back.
Emp: Let me take down your name and number, my shift ends at 6:00, I promise someone will get back to you before I leave.
Ben: Thank you.

20 minutes later, my phone rings.

Ben: Hello?
Mom: Hello Benjamin, this is Mom from Sugar Mom's.
Ben: Hey mom.
Mom: Look we'll get you're card out to you right away.

Yes Success!!!!!!!!

Then came Friday.

Around 12:30pm I recieved this call:

Ben: Hello
Mom: Hello Benjamin, this is Mom from Sugar Mom's
Ben: (confused) Hi Mom, what's up.
Mom: Oh, I've been looking for your phone number all morning. See, someone broke into my car last night and your Debit Card was stolen. It was in the envelope, all ready to be mailed, and they took it right out. Left the envelope, but took your card.
Ben: ... ... ... Oh.
Mom: Yea, It happened sometime after 10:00 last night.
Ben: Uh, Ok
Mom: Well I'll talk to you later.

W.T.F.

After days of not getting ahold of the right people, then when I finally do, Her car gets broken into. So I went to the bank and had them cancel my card. Luckily, therer were no outstanding charges thath I couldn't explain, so I caught it in time. It was just such a hassle. I should have just said, "Destroy it" on Sunday, I'll put in for a new one. It would have saved me much less of a hassle.

Here is where I thought the story was over. The following Saturday, I got an envelope from Philadelphia. Inside were 4 poker chips, each emblazoned with the letters MOM'S and accompanied with a note.

"The Mom's Chip is good for 50 Cents off each and every item prchased at either Mom's location. The Chip is good for life, use it each and every time you visit Mom's. If you forget to bring your chip or lose your Chip just ask for another... It's Mom's way of saying "you're special!"

A hand written note was also included:

"Since I still had the envelope, I figured I'd send you something. -Mom"

Thanks Mom...

Anyone up for a road trip to Philly?

-Ben

1 Comments:

At 5:03 PM, Blogger Dr Obvious said...

That's pretty cool, but no.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home